A mould problem in the household can cause a variety of different health issues, and those who suffer from these health issues might not even be aware of the cause. What can easily be mistaken for the flu or a cold can be reactions to the mould spores in the air.
There are three main types of symptoms produced from exposure to mould and mould spores.
- Allergenic Symptoms
- Toxic Symptoms
- Infection Symptoms
A large portion of adverse health response to mould are allergenic. As mould grows, it releases what we call mould spores which can act as allergy causing substances (allergens). When mould spores are breathed in the immune system reacts by creating an allergenic response. This is the body’s defense against foreign particles entering the body.
The more exposure to mould after initial reaction, the more sensitive to mould the immune system becomes. Even to small amounts of mount the allergenic responses can become more severe. Allergic reactions to mould may occur immediate and can occur hours or days after exposure.
Symptoms of mould include:
- Sore Throat
- Runny Nose
- Itchy or Redness of Eyes
- Skin Irritation
Allergic response to mould can even set off an asthma attack in an asthmatic person. Even to the healthiest of people, mould can have incredibly adverse effects and it is strongly recommended that you do not stay in an mould infected environment at all.
There are 16 types of mould toxic to humans. What makes these types of mould toxic is that we call mycotoxins. As they release mould spores, attached to them (or produced inside of) is the aforementioned mycotoxins. Symptoms produced from mycotoxins are much worse than that of symptoms produced from allergic reactions. Reactions to mycotoxins include bleeding, damage to internal organs, cancer, mental impairment, and can even lead to death in some cases. You never know how your body will react to the mould in the air, so it is imperative to remediate the problem immediately.
Mould infections can occur when mould spores are directly inhaled into the lungs. Once in the lungs they can grow and infect the person who inhaled them. Although it is not typically seen in health people, it can affect those who are either sick or elderly. It can grow on the sinuses, on skin tissue, and even the digestive system. While not common, it can even lead to death.
Consult your doctor
If you believe that you may have been exposed to mould for an extended period of time, we highly recommend that you see your GP. The longer you are exposed the worse it can get.
Fixing the mould problem
It is also important to remediate the problem as quickly as possible. The quicker you respond to the problem, the less of a problem it will be to fix and the quicker you can get back to good health. On tips on how to remediate the mould problem within the premises please click on one of the following links.
Alternatively, please give us a call. We provide highly professional mould removal services with quick response times.